Chevening scholarship is one of top scholarships of the world which are awarded to students excelling in not only in academic field but having strong leadership skills as well. Chevening scholarship for study in top universities of United Kingdom, is funded by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office and partner organizations. This scholarship offers fully funded support to the students to study in any university of United Kingdom. Not only this, students will also have access to a wide range of cultural, academic and professional experiences.
Why Study in the UK?
UK is considered to be one of the best countries to study. It has a rich culture with a lot of diversity. It has a long history of welcoming visitors specially students. The natives are friendly here.
UK is a beautiful country with a lot of attractive travel destinations. Nature lovers would always find UK attractive because of the places like Scottish Highlands, the Lake District, Snowdonia, and Isle of Wigh.
Scholarships for one year master degree are offered to outstanding students every year. Students prefer studying in UK also because of its arts and entertainment industry and cuisine.
In short, UK is the best place to study for international students. It not only provides suitable environment but also offers students a variety of courses to study as there are more than 395 universities and colleges, offering over 50,000 undergraduate-level higher education courses across the UK.
About Chevening Scholarship:
Chevening scholarship program to study in UK was inaugurated in 1983. By now, over 50,000 outstanding professionals have had the chance to study in UK by the Chevening scholarship program.
Students who avail Chevening scholarship will have a chance to study their Master’s degree in UK. The duration of the degree would be one year.
Value of Chevening Scholarship:
Chevening scholarship is a fully funded scholarship which includes
- Payment of tuition fees
- Economy travel to and from your country
- Arrival allowance
- Cost of entry clearance application for you only
- A departure allowance
- A contribution of up to £75 for TB testing, where this is required.
- A travel top-up allowance
- To cover living expenses, a monthly stipend would also be given. Monthly stipend depends whether you can living in or outside London.
Eligibility Criteria for the Chevening Scholarship:
Students who have completed undergraduate degree are eligible to apply. To see further eligibility requirements, read the following.
Applicants are eligible if
Followings are the eligibility criteria for Chevening scholarship to study in UK
- Applicant should be a citizen of Chevening eligible country
- Applicant must guarantee return to his/her country after the completion of degree
- Applicant must have completed all components of an undergraduate degree which will enable to gain admission in post graduate degree
- Applicant must have at least 2 years of work experience
- Applicant must meet the Chevening scholarship English requirement by 16 July 2020
- Applicant must have applied in 3 different university courses and must have received unconditional offer by one of these by 16 July 2020
Applicants are not eligible if
- Applicants hold British or dual British citizenship
- Applicant holds a refugee status in non-Chevening eligible countries. Those who hold refugee status in Chevening eligible countries can apply.
- Applicant is an employee, former employee or relative of an employee of Her Majesty’s Government
- Applicant has studied previously in UK with funding from a UK government funded scholarship
Eligible Courses for Chevening Scholarship:
In order to be eligible, the courses applicant must choose should be
- Based in United Kingdom
- Lead to a degree of Maters
- Masters should be taught in that degree
- Courses should start in autumn term
Courses should not be:
- Part time
- It should not be distant learning
- Course should not be less than 9 months in duration
- Course should not be more than 12 months in duration
- Should not be PHD or DPhil
- Course should not be taught with more than one month of study outside the UK
English Language Test:
Chevening accept English test from the following sources
- Academic IELTS (paper or computer-based)
- Pearson PTE Academic
- TOEFL iBT
- C1 Advanced (formerly Cambridge English: Advanced [CAE])
- Trinity ISE II (B2)
If you fail to demonstrate that you meet the English requirements by 16 July 2020, your application would not be accepted
Chevening Eligible Universities:
To check which universities are eligible in UK for Chevening, see the following
Eligible types of work experience
Applicant needs 2 years of work experience to be eligible for Chevening scholarship. Work can include
- Full time job
- Part time job
- Paid or unpaid internships
- Voluntary work
How to Apply for Chevening Scholarship?
Online Application System:
While applying for Chevening scholarship, some tips might help you out. Below are listed some which can be helpful
- Use Google chrome web browser while applying as it is more reliable and convenient
- Work in a full sized window while completing the application form you may see all the instructions
- Don’t use the back and forward buttons of the browser. This may take you out of the system and you may lose all your data
- Remember your username and password
- Make sure you enter the details correctly
- You can prepare all your answers offline because the application may take a while to complete
- Make sure the questions you answer are up to the world limit that is given
- Keep saving as you fill the form
- You can complete the form in different sessions. You can log out and begin from where you left
- Make sure you do not copy the answers of the questions that are asked. Plagiarism is highly unappreciated
- Application must be submitted in English
- Before submitting your application, make sure you have checked all the details again
- Remember that you can only submit the application once. Withdrawing would need a reason. If you withdraw, you will not be able to start another application until applications open again in 2020
When you submit your application, you must supply the names of two referees as it is an integral part of the selection process.
You will be required to upload two reference letters to the online application system if your application is selected. This should be done by 12:00 GMT (noon) on 25 February 2020.
The British embassy or High commission might ask you to bring the hard copies of these letters when you go for an interview there, in your home country.
The people you know academically or professionally can be your referees. They should be able to comment on your general suitability to receive The Chevening scholarship.
The references are required to be written in English. If not, your references would not be accepted. It is also important to provide as much relevant detail as possible because the references are reviewed by British embassy or High commission in the latter stages.
Your reference letter should include the following
- How long has the referee known the applicant?
- In what capacity do you know the applicant? (e.g. professional, educational, supervisory, voluntary, religious etc)
- When did the referee last have regular contact with the applicant?
- A brief overall endorsement of the applicant, including their:
- Skills in leadership and networking.
- Personal, intellectual, and interpersonal qualities.
- Ability to complete a demanding academic program in the UK.
Interview for Chevening Scholarship
If you are shortlisted for the interview for Chevening scholarship, you would need to submit the following prior the interview
- Education documents (copies of your certificates and/or transcripts).
- Two reference letters.
- A short biography that tells us more about you.
You will need the following documents to take to your interview:
- Passport/national ID
Applications start on 5 August 2020
Applications close on 8 November 2020
Applications are assessed from mid-November to December 2020
Applicants are shortlisted for interviews from early to mid-February 2021
Interviews take place from 2 March to May 2021
Results announce from early June 2021
Deadline to meet English requirement and accept university’s offer is 16 July 2021
Studies begin September/ October 2021
How to Prepare Your Chevening Application / Guidance:
Applicants need to prepare for every single step of the scholarship to be shortlisted for Chevening scholarship.
Applicants are required to read guidance given on the official website of the Chevening scholarship before submitting the application form so they are clear about every step. Also review the terms and conditions before the final submission of the application.
Common Errors in the Chevening Scholarship:
Some common errors are made by the applicants when they are submitting the application. Some examples are as follows
Applicants are required to answer all the questions correctly of the eligibility pre-screen. Incorrect answer to one of these questions would eventually lead to failure of the application.
All parts of the application form need to be answered. Only those applications would be processed which are eligible.
Applicants make the most common mistakes in the following
Applicants who have dual citizenship from UK would not be considered for the Chevening scholarship
Applicants are required to have 2800 work hours. Applicant’s work experience will be calculated automatically by multiplying the number of weeks worked by the number of hours worked per week. A working week comprises 35-60 hours and a working year comprises 40-50 weeks for this calculation.
Some common mistakes made by applicants here are
- not meeting the required hours
- not entering correct number of hours
- not entering correct number of weeks
- entering same work experience in more than one places
- UK university
Applicants would not be selected if the enter duplicate courses at same university. They are required to enter three different courses
In order to be eligible, applicants need to answer a number of statements correctly. They are required to select carefully either one; Yes or No.
- Word count of application questions
There is a word count for every question. Answers below that word count will not be accepted.
All applications are run through plagiarism software. The applications having plagiarism are disqualified.
Use of English language
Only those applications would be processed which are completed in English.
- Michael & Susan Dell Foundation – Dell Scholarships Program in the USA, 2022
- International HCI Skills Gateway Scholarships in UK
- RevenueZen Social Selling International Scholarship, 2021
- University of Windsor Students’ Alliance International Student Leader Scholarships in Canada
- Beacon Scholarships for Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda Students at Cardiff University, UK
- Politics, Economics and International Relations Scholarships at University of Reading, UK
- International Student Continuation Scholarships in USA
- International Student Scholarships at Hope College, USA