Studying abroad and experiencing the culture of other states to the fullest is everybody’s dream but in this economy doesn’t seem much possible. For all these enthusiastic and bright students, the fully funded scholarship is a cheat code which surprisingly is legal!
If you believe you are one of your kinds and have the ability to show this to others, this is your chance. You are at the right platform just at the right time and behold! we present you Fulbright scholarship. Fulbright Foreign Student Program is one of oldest and prestigious awards for the students who want to pursue their research or undergraduate study in the United States. This fullbright program is for both Masters and PHD degrees and is funded by United States Agency for International Development. The Fulbright scholarship is a fully funded scholarship and covers airfare, living stipend, health insurance, required textbooks and tuition fee.
The students who want to pursue their Master’s degree are required to have a bachelor’s degree or a Bachelor’s and Master’s combination which makes a total of 16 years of education.
The students who want to pursue their PHD degrees are required to have their Master’s or MPhil done and should have completed 18 years of education. Experience in teaching, research or the public sector is highly desirable.
History of the Fulbright Scholarship
A bill in the congress of United States was presented by Senator J. William Fulbright in 1945. The motive of the bill was to promote international goodwill by exchange of students in the fields of education, science and culture and surplus war property was used to fund it. This bill was signed by President Harry S. Truman on 1st August, 1946 and Fulbright scholarship was created by the congress of United States.
The Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs of the U.S. Department of State sponsors the Fulbright Program and receives funding from the United States Congress via annual appropriation bills.
Why opt for the Fulbright Scholarship?
The Fulbright scholarship program is the largest exchange program offered by U.S government which offers the opportunity to study advanced research, university teachings, primary and secondary teachings worldwide to the students. Currently, in more than 140 countries worldwide, the Fulbright scholarship program awards approximately 8000 grants annually in all fields of study. The Fulbright alumni prove to be the best in all fields whether it is professors, artists, journalists, members of congress, judges or university presidents.
Since 1946, more than 380,000 people from all around the globe have participated in the Fulbright scholarship program.
Fulbright Scholarship Timeline:
The applications for Fulbright scholarship open each year in February and close in May. The review and interview sessions continue till September and the results are announced in mid-October. After the candidates the selected, the university submission process continues to February and the visa interviews take place until June. The successful candidates expect to leave in July depending on their respective university’s reporting dates.
Eligibility Criteria for the Fulbright Scholarship:
The eligibility criteria for the Fulbright scholarship program is described below
- Applicant should be the citizen, resident of the country he/she is applying from
- Before the start of the grant, applicants must have conferred a bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Four years of professional training or experience meets eligibility requirements for creative and performing arts
- Applicants should be in good health and for that they are required to submit a satisfactory medical certificate from a physician
- To communicate with the people and carry out research or study, applicants are required to have sufficient proficiency in in the language on the host country
- Applicants are required to hold a J.D at the time of application.
- Doctors of medicine would not receive grants for internships or residencies. They might get grant for advanced academic study. Scholars who hold a M.D degree and have completed their formal postgraduate training and for the purpose of independent or collaborative research, have proposed attachments to hospital or clinic are eligible to apply for Fulbright scholarship program. Proposals for medical research that involves clinical training, patient care or contact cannot be authorized by Fulbright scholarship program.
Following are the conditions where the candidates can prove to be ineligible for the Fulbright scholarship program
- By the application deadline, those students who hold or will hold a doctoral degree are not eligible to apply
- Applicants who want to get enrolled in a medical degree program
- Preceding the date of application, applicants who have resided abroad for five or more than five years in the six year period
- Employees of U.S department of state or U.S agency for international development cannot apply, whether part-time or full time workers. It does not apply to interns
- Employees of the agencies which are under contract with U.S department of state to perform services such as screening or administrative services under U.S department of states
- Those who are officers of an organization which is responsible for nominating or selecting individuals for exchange programs. This applies to residents of U.S as well as abroad.
- Fulbright commission’s staff or board members
- William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board’s members
- Those who belong from immediate families. This does not apply to self-supporting children who live away from their parents.
- From the date of termination of employment, service or association, period of ineligibility is calculated for the purpose of this section.
- It is not feasible for a dual national to apply for Fulbright program in some cases. It is incumbent upon the candidates to ascertain whether they can have host country’s nationality before accepting the award. Dual nation of the country may not apply to that country in the following
Australia Germany New Zealand Spain
Belgium Iceland Norway Taiwan
Colombia Japan* Russia Ukraine
Denmark Netherlands South Korea*
Preferred qualifications for Fulbright scholarship
- Those candidates are strongly preferred who have previously not been held a Fulbright grant
- Those students who completed higher education at any institutions of the United States would be preferred
- Applicants who have not lived more than 6 months in the country they are applying for are preferred. This does not count undergraduate study abroad. Duty of armed forces of U.S abroad will not disqualify either.
- If the qualifications are approximately equal to other candidates, those who have served in armed forces would be preferred
- Those who have a recent foreign experience in the host country are eligible to apply but at a competitive disadvantage.
How to Apply for Fulbright Scholarship Program:
Following is the method to apply in the Fulbright scholarship program. A complete package of application includes
- An application form
- Three reference letters
- Applicant’s GRE score report
- Scanned transcripts which are attested by the issuing authority. Other documents should be attested by HEC as they are preferable. Grading system of the university should also be mentioned.
Factors in Selection of the Fulbright Scholars:
Following factors play an important role in the selection process of Fulbright scholarship
- Strong academic record
- Personal qualifications.
- Language preparation (IELTS and TOEFL)
- Preference factors
- Desirability of the student to achieve wide geographical and institutional distribution
- Availability of supervision for research
- Requirements in individual countries of the program. Different countries have different preferences.
- The extent to which the project and candidate would help to promote mutual understanding among the nations
Value of Fulbright Scholarship:
The fully funded Fulbright scholarship actual amount is not defined but it covers the following:
- Living stipend between $400-$600 (monthly)
- Health insurance
- Required textbooks
- Tuition fee.
Please see the official website and country specific websites for the complete list of scholarship benefits.
Past Winner Remarks and Success:
Here are the top 2 Rhodes scholarship winners:
2019 Rhodes Scholar
Julia is the primary UAlberta beneficiary of the Rhodes Scholarship for 2019, and she will start studying at Oxford in the fall semester.
At Oxford, she intends to seek two Master’s degrees: one in international health and tropical prescription and one in international health science and the study of disease epidemiology. Julia will, at that point, come back to finish her degree before practicing pediatric medication, with a definitive objective of holding a job in a worldwide health initiative.
2018 Rhodes Scholar
Mackenzie was one of two UAlberta candidates granted the prestigious Rhodes Scholarship in 2017 and will start her education at Oxford in the fall of 2018. Upon graduation from the U of A, Mackenzie will get degrees in Education and Human Ecology, just as authentication from the Peter Lougheed Leadership College.
At Oxford, she intends to seek a Master of Science qualification in proof-based social intervention and strategy assessment. Upon her arrival, she would like to proceed with her scholarly education to additionally comprehend the equal potential advantages of between generational association.
How to Win a Rhodes Scholarships:
While the quantity of nations in the Rhodes scholarship program has extended, the fundamental basis hasn’t. The objective of the Rhodes Scholarships isn’t merely to discover individuals who are great candidates now; instead, the determination board of trustee’s attempts to assess a candidate’s potential over a lifetime. Accordingly, candidates are judged by what they’ve achieved, yet additionally by what they’re probably going to make sometime down the road.
Here is the way how to win a Rhodes scholarship, Cecil Rhodes set out four principles for choosing Rhodes Scholars. He expressed that candidates must be decided on scholarly and educational accomplishments, life, and commitment to services to other people and initiative capacities.
Since Rhodes Scholarships are so lofty, numerous schools and colleges in the United States support their top candidates consider applying nearly when they land on grounds. To win the scholarships, candidates must be selected by their school or college.
- International Student Continuation Scholarships in USA
- Michael & Susan Dell Foundation – Dell Scholarships Program in the USA, 2022
- Politics, Economics and International Relations Scholarships at University of Reading, UK
- Beacon Scholarships for Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda Students at Cardiff University, UK
- Carnegie Dartlet $10,000 Scholarship
- RevenueZen Social Selling International Scholarship, 2021
- International HCI Skills Gateway Scholarships in UK
- International Student Scholarships at Hope College, USA